Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Drac's coffin

So this little project started out as one of those raw, balsa (?) wood coffins from Michael's (the kids' Halloween crafting kiosk).

I first painted the whole thing black using ordinary craft paint. Once dry, I used newspaper to create templates for the decoupage by wrapping the newspaper over the different sections, then cutting out where the newspaper was bent. I have three coffins to decorate, so you'd think I'd save these templates, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong. Oops, I forgot and threw them away with the scraps. Oh, well.

So I had some Recollections Halloween paper (I think from 2011? Not sure) and cut various "planks" of the coffin to size, placed them on the coffin, and marked where the paper should be split (so the coffin can open, of course). I sliced the paper using an Xacto blade, then used matte Modge Podge to adhere & seal. Using K & Company's Brenda Walton Haunted House ChipBox, I placed a ghost chip on on of the side/top planks, marked with my thumbnail where he should be split, then cut him and decoupaged him on in two pieces. When the coffin is closed, he's whole. When it's open, EEEEEK!

I then decoupaged the "Danger" chip (with purple cardstock underneath, corners cut by hand to match chip's corners). The chip bat came next, attached via black cardstock folded like an accordion. And yes I did just have to spell check accordion. I'm torqued that the bat is a little top heavy, but with a little manipulation he floats there pretty well.






Last came Drac. The chip that came in the box was too wide for the coffin, so I scanned him in and manipulated him, moving the arm, the feet, and shaved off some of the cape using the Open Source image manipulate, GIMP. My printer didn't spit him out as vivid as I'd like, and since the original had glitter, I used black and red glitter to jazz up his cape a bit, plus used colored pencils to blacken his hair and shoes, and put fresh blood on his lips. Mmmmmm. I had wanted him to spring out of the coffin as it's opened, but the springing was a bit lame and no one wants a lame Dracula! So I left him free, and, anyway, perhaps my nephew William (for whom this Halloween treat was created) will want to use him to turn his Lego men into the undead.


Fangs for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment